March 17, 2009

Alter-Ego Mask

We were required to create a mask out of a piece of basswood

Description: My alter ego doesn’t have a name, just a face. She began popping up in reflective surfaces like mirrors and the like when I was still just a child. As you can imagine, she scared the crap out of me because I plain old thought she was a witch. Luckily, over the years I’ve become accustomed to seeing her weathered face and bonnet-covered head so that I’m no longer afraid. I generally tend to be overly couscous and critical at times and my other self has become a voice of reason in my head, telling me to just relax. Her mantra seems to be “life is too short to be wasting it by (insert what I’m currently doing/working on).” I become consumed by my work at times that I’ll completely stress myself out, usually to the point that I won’t get any actual work done. Don’t be fooled by her appearance though, she may look the part of an old hag, but she’s really a teenager at heart. Her old visage just serves as a visual reminder of just how little time we all have to live. She’s a wild lady, always trying to get me to go out and enjoy myself, which I’m usually hesitant to do but eventually cave in. She is my alter ego, my second half.

Design:
























Final Piece:

No comments:

Post a Comment